Sometimes, the dinner inspiration just isn’t there. You know what I mean. Dinner. What to make?? Where to begin?? Then begins the mental checklist. Is it healthy enough? When did I last make that dish? What did everyone eat for lunch? Did they get enough vegetables today? How long will it take? Do I have everything here to make this or do I need to go to the store again?!? Exhausting, isn’t it?? Not any more! I have the answer … Arugula Pizza.
Let’s talk about Arugula:
- leafy green plant closely related to (surprisingly) the radish, kale, or cauliflower, not to lettuce
- high in folic acid, vitamins C, K, A, potassium, manganese, iron, and calcium
- great source of antioxidants (to boost your immune system)
- lots of phytonutrients to fight cancer
- excellent food choice for pregnant women because of its high folic acid content
- tastes amazing on pizza!
Why put arugula on your pizza?
- costs less than cheese
- healthier than cheese
- more vitamins and nutrients than cheese
- add some hummus and you now have a plant-powered pizza with protein
- what is a salad without the bread??!?!?
- it is vegan
- it is pretty 🙂
Tara’s Tips for Perfect, Fool-Proof Arugula Pizza:
- Make your own dough using my recipe for no-rise healthy whole wheat pizza dough or a store-bought dough works too in a pinch or if you need a gluten free option
- I smeared hummus over the crust for extra protein and texture which is absolutely delicious. Make your own using my tahini-free homemade hummus recipe or you can toss on some roasted chick peas but don’t cook them too long because they will be too crunchy and roll right off!
- I added roasted tomatoes but you can do sun-dried tomatoes, roasted zucchini, olives, or even figs
- Drizzle on salad dressing after all your fixings are on. Make your own easy homemade healthy salad dressing like I did. Be careful with store-bought salad dressing because it can bust the calorie and nutrition budget very quickly (more about that in my article here).
See, easy! No more searching for dinner ideas that please everyone! This one is a keeper. We LOVE this. The dough can be made ahead on the weekend and frozen until you are ready to use. You have officially gone from dinner-cook-looking-for-takeout-to-the-rescue to healthy-homemade-pizza-superhero!
- Did you make this Arugula Pizza? Leave a comment below! We love comments ♥
- Tag @myvegetarianfamily on Instagram and hashtag it #myvegetarianfamily
→ You can always find me on Instagram @myvegetarianfamily where you can follow me and my daily food journey.
AND be sure to subscribe here to my weekly emails for tips and recipes so that you never miss a veggie thing!