Tara’s Tuesday Tips: 10 ‘HEALTHY’ Things
That Are Actually Making You UNHEALTHY
- Smoothies: Yes, there are worse things you can drink; however, a smoothie can derail your healthy efforts very quickly. Why? Drink the wrong smoothie and you can end up drinking an entire day’s worth of sugar or calories pretty quickly! Smoothies can be very sneaky!!
- What should you be doing? Don’t use juice as the base, fill the blender with veggies not fruit. Be careful of the number of servings of fruit going in! Make your smoothie in your own kitchen and be sure to include fat and protein to slow the rapid rise and fall of your blood sugar. Need some healthy smoothie recipes? Start here.
- Eating a Salad: Again, yes, there are worse things you could eat; however, a salad can sneak in LOTS of unnecessary calories that you pile on to the top of your very healthy veggies. Dressing, nuts, dried fruit, fried strips of whatevers, sound familiar?
- What should you be doing? Start here with my tips on weight loss and the vegetarian salad trap.
- Using Antibacterial Soap: negative hormonal affects, increased antibiotic resistance, chemical ingredients with unknown risks?!?! Not me. Shouldn’t be you either. Mostly because of a chemical called tricsolan. Need more reasons why using antibacterial soap is actually unhealthy? Read the full FDA article here.
- What should you be doing? Commit it to memory and avoid it. Tricsolan interferes with your bodies ability to process your thyroid hormones and other hormones. There are soaps without it! Use them. Start here for an interactive guide to understanding where tricsolan can be lurking in your home.
- Not Washing Your Blender: There are so many harmful microorganisms hiding in your home I don’t even know where to begin. Salmonella, Candida, Listeria, and more can be lurking in your refrigerator drawers, rubber spatulas, can openers, and blender gaskets. According to this CDC article, ¼ of all foodborne illnesses are caused by bacteria found right in the person’s own home. Gross.
- What should you be doing? If you have a Vitamix with a self-cleaning mode, you are all set. Here is the one I have. If you don’t have a Vitamix, take your blender apart and put the gasket in the dishwasher after you use it, same goes for rubber spatulas, and can openers. As for your refrigerator; clean the drawers and shelves with baking soda and warm water weekly and when you have a food spill.
- Eating Frozen Meals: So you think you are doing a good thing by buying a frozen meal because it is portion controlled? Do you know what BHT is? Many people don’t know what it is, but they eat it. A lot of it. How about MSG, or HFCS? I’m guessing your answer is no. But you eat it? Frozen meals can pack in these toxins alongside an entire day’s portion of sodium, fat and even calories if you aren’t careful.
- What should you be doing? Ditch the 1950s TV dinner on a personal folding table to start. It’s not 1950 anymore and unfortunately the food industry has started using a lot more chemicals compared to 1950. A bag of frozen veggies and a frozen veggie burger are a better choice in a pinch. Or check out this “Eat This Not That” list of the highest ranking frozen foods in America.
- Eating ‘Protein Bars’: Some protein bars are just a candy bar in disguise. Be careful! These little guys could have 30g of sugar and 400 calories or more!! Others can be full of hard-to-pronounce ingredients manufactured in a lab somewhere. Ingredients such as trans fats, high-fructose corn syrup, food coloring, artificial sugars, sugar alcohols, and genetically modified soy. Why would you do that?
- What should you be doing? Check the labels! Make sure there are ingredients you recognize. Less is more. The fewer ingredients on the label, choose that one! OR make your own. Try my recipe here for homemade granola bars.
- Drinking Fancy Water: This one is very tricky. The bottle looks healthy, the ingredient list is short, you are supposed to drink more water. I know. Let’s break it down. Here is the bad stuff in these waters: Preservatives (Sodium Polyphosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid), Artificial Sweeteners (sucralose, acesulfame potassium, aspartame, erythritol). In addition, they are packaged in aluminum cans and BPA plastic bottles.
- What should you do? Drink water. If that doesn’t do it for you squeeze a lime or a lemon or an orange in it. Or try one of these fabulous fruit infuser water bottle that helps infuse your water with fruit for you!
- Eating Cereal: What has the food industry done to cereal? Well, they have destroyed it. If you are trying to lose weight or are diabetic do not even bring it into your house. Unfortunately, your ‘cereal’ bowl and the serving size on the box are not exactly what one might call a match made in heaven. They are completely incompatible. Sadly the once loved cereal is now full of genetically modified ingredients, sugar, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, sugars, and more.
- What should you do: Like everything else on this list, there are healthy alternatives. Read the labels and watch your portion sizes. Or try other things for breakfast such as oats that you make in your Instant Pot, Quinoa, breakfast bowls layered with yogurt and fruit, or even homemade granola in a bowl topped with almond or dairy milk! You have options. Start here for my other favorite healthy breakfast recipes.
- Using Extra Light Olive Oil: “Light” DOES NOT refer to the oil being lower in calories. “Light” in this situation means refined. The food industry strikes again. They took pure dark green olive oil and made it pretty. Pretty sells better but refining this oil has stripped it of the natural vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants found in olives (the ones that are good for you). It also strips it of its deep olive taste and is likely diluted with cheaper oils that aren’t even olive oil at all.
- What should you do: Have you heard of this trendy new acronym, EVOO? Use it. Don’t buy the light stuff if you care about what you are putting in your body.
- Drinking Diet Soda: Stop it! Stop drinking diet soda now if you care about your body, your mind, your bones, your skin, or your teeth. I know it is hard to stop. I once loved diet soda. This stuff is just bad for you. Yes, it has zero calories, but artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking you are getting something sweet so your body releases insulin. When it doesn’t get the something sweet it keeps looking. Then look for more food (sweet food) and you end up eating even more calories. It also strips your body of the calcium that your bones need and the enamel that your teeth need. AND you are drinking the nasty BPA that lines those cans.
- What should you do? There are no alternatives. Kick the habit. Is it the bubbles you crave? Get a soda stream. That is how I did it. I used that for a few months and drank homemade bubbly water that I squeezed a fresh orange into, but after a few months, I didn’t even want that any more. Start drinking water!
Wow, that’s a lot of information. Remember, big changes start small. Pick one and try it out. Have questions? Need help implementing one of these? Leave a comment below! We love comments Or email me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can always find me on Instagram @myvegetarianfamily where you can follow me and my daily food journey AND be sure to subscribe here to my weekly emails for tips and recipes so that you never miss a veggie thing!
*see disclosure page here