BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
I am not suggesting that you trick your meat-eating friends and family … BUT … if you were interested in doing so on your own … This recipe is my gift to you! BBQ Jackfruit Sliders are the perfect plant-based alternative to the pulled pork sandwich. Vegan, Gluten Free, Healthy, Low-Carb, what more could you ask for?!?! What is that you say? You don’t want it on a bun? OK! How about we slide the jackfruit onto a perfectly roasted sweet potato round? Yep, you got it. BBQ Jackfruit Sliders. Sprinkle some shredded cabbage on top, pair it with a side of veggies and you are all set! YUM!! 🙂
- grown on a tree in Southeast Asia, Brazil, & Africa
- contains no saturated fat or cholesterol
- high in fiber and potassium
- has a stringy consistency
- ripe jackfruit is eaten raw like a fruit or dessert
- young jackfruit is not as sweet with a stringy texture and is used in curries, vegetarian pulled pork recipes, and flavored with Mexican spices
How to buy Jackfruit:
- whole fruit (not always available and difficult to cut)
- in a pouch pre-seasoned or unseasoned (The Jackfruit Co.) – I found mine at Whole Foods in Orlando
- if you buy the unseasoned or canned, rinse it before using it
If You’ve Never Seen a Young Whole Jackfruit:
(Photographed by me at a local Asian Market):
Vegan + Gluten Free + Low-Carb + Easy to cook
Jackfruit will take on the flavors of whatever you are cooking. You can substitute jackfruit in lots of curries and Mexican dishes such as my recipe for Jackfruit Mexican Lettuce Wraps.
Seasoned or Unseasoned?
You can make BBQ Jackfruit Sliders two ways. Buy a pouch of pre-spiced BBQ jackfruit and heat it in a pan following directions in recipe below, spoon onto a bun or roasted sweet potato rounds and top with shredded cabbage. You can also buy jackfruit not seasoned and follow the recipe below if you want a DIY method. I use the spiced package for quick weeknight meal or weekend lunch – super easy and tasty! Enjoy!